Alain, thanks for the patch. I have committed it to upstream apparmor.

** Also affects: apparmor/2.9

** Changed in: apparmor/2.9

** Changed in: apparmor/2.9

** Changed in: apparmor/2.9
    Milestone: None => 2.9.2

** Changed in: apparmor

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apparmor in Ubuntu.

  AppArmor python tools fail to parse mounts with UTF-8 non-ascii
  characters

Status in AppArmor Linux application security framework:
  Fix Committed
Status in AppArmor 2.9 series:
  Fix Committed
Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:

  Version:
  14.04 Fresh Install.

  $ uname -a
  Linux alain-Desktop 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC
2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  AppArmor crashes with this stack trace:

  PythonArgs: ['/usr/sbin/aa-status']
  Traceback:
   Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "/usr/sbin/aa-status", line 194, in <module>
       commands[cmd]()
     File "/usr/sbin/aa-status", line 17, in cmd_enabled
       if get_profiles() == {}:
     File "/usr/sbin/aa-status", line 82, in get_profiles
       apparmorfs = find_apparmorfs()
     File "/usr/sbin/aa-status", line 137, in find_apparmorfs
       for p in open("/proc/mounts").readlines():
     File "/usr/lib/python3.4/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
       return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
   UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 1200:
ordinal not in range(128)

  That is because I have a UTF-8 non-Ascii character in one of my mounts:
  $ mount
  /dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
  proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
  sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

  (...)
  /dev/sda6 on /home/alain/Vidéos type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
  (...)

  The Python code of aastatus near line 135 shows:

  def find_apparmorfs():
      '''Finds AppArmor mount point'''
      for p in open("/proc/mounts").readlines():
          if p.split()[2] == "securityfs" and \
             os.path.exists(os.path.join(p.split()[1], "apparmor")):
              return os.path.join(p.split()[1], "apparmor")
      return False

  So if I do:
  $ cat /proc/mounts
  rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
  sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0

  (...)
  /dev/sda6 /home/alain/Vidéos ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered
0 0
  (...)

  There is indeed a line with a 'é'

  UTF-8 code of the 'é' is 0xC3 0xA9

  But apparently the call to .readlines() is set as ASCII and hence does
  NOT support the 0xC3 (first byte of the 'é' in UTF-8) and then it
  crashes.

  I assume the solution could be to correctly read as UTF-8 as there are
  some non-Americans/English out there!

  Sorry my knowledge of Python is just enough to understand the bug, and
  not enough to submit a patch.

  Regards.
  Alain