I posted the same problem on askubuntu and there are more people with
this problem:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/591146/ubuntu-desktop-not-working-when-
suspend-resume-or-connecting-an-external-monitor

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu-desktop not working when suspend/resume or connecting an
  external monitor -after upgrade this week (14.04)

Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:

  I was happily using 14.04 with my Lenovo Y50. When I installed it, I
  had some troubles making my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB works with
  hardware acceleration, etc, but at the end everything was OK.

  THIS WEEK (around 02/25/2015) an update destroyed this beautiful
  equilibrium: I can't resume after suspend and I can't plug or unplug
  my external monitor without having a weird problem:

  a) Desktop "moves" half of it size to the right.

  b) Mouse works, but I can't click on anything. The only workaround is
  killing the Xorg, and loosing the session.

  What I tried, without success:

  1) Downgrade Compiz (the first suspect, it was upgraded this week).
  Nothing.

  2) Install ALL possible NVIDIA drivers:

  2.a) Nouveau

  2.b) Nvidia 304 & Nvidia 304 updates (blacklisting and purging
  nouveau)

  2.c) Nvidia 331 & Nvidia 331 updates (both from repository and NVidea
  website). (blacklisting and purging nouveau)

  2.d) Nvidia 340 (from Xorg-edgers ppa). (blacklisting and purging
  nouveau)

  2.e) In every case, I purged previous drivers before, reconfigure
  Xorg, etc, etc,etc.

  3) Reinstalling Unity and Ubuntu-desktop

  I honestly don't know what else to do, but this situation it's very
  annoying.

  Any ideas? Please?

  THANK YOU

  Package: ubuntu-desktop 1.325
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-46.76-generic 3.13.11-ckt15
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-46-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Feb 28 14:21:26 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US
   PATH=(custom, no user)