I. e. it should remove them as soon as the sessions are actually closed.
Otherwise, if you log out, they merely go into state "closing", and wait
until all remaining processes are going away. If you start screen
sessions or other background jobs, they'll stay around for those.

  logind session files fill up /run space

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Under Ubuntu 14.10 (server), systemd fills up /run/systemd/sessions directory
with files.
  The files are 240-260 bytes, but there are many
   As per default install, /run is on tmpfs with 50 MB size. After a couple of
days, /run/ runs out of free space, which can cause not so funny errors, like
failed kernel update (kernel postinst tries to create files here, then fails)

  As I see, thesefiles are releated to ssh sesssions, and yes there are
  plenty SSH connection to this host. Shouldn't systemd remove these old
  session files?

  # lsb_release -rd
  Release:        14.10

  # apt-cache policy systemd