[Expired for unity (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Clicking on a launcher icon freezes the system completely - need
  hardware reboot

Status in Unity:
  Expired
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Every once in a while (almost once a day!!!!!) at the very moment I click on
some launcher icon (on the left of the screen), the whole system freezes and
stops responding to both mouse and keyboard. The mouse cursor still moves but
it doesn't respond to clicks.
  CPU use goes relatively high, but not even close to 100%. And no disk
activity at all.

  The system doesn't even respond to Ctrl+Alt+F1 (switch to virtual
  terminal).

  This has happened to me clicking on launcher icons of the Terminal in
  some occasions, and of Thunderbird on other occasions, so it doesn't
  seem to be related to any application  in particular.

  THIS IS HUGE, this happens to me almost every day (sometimes more than
  once a day)

  This is similar to other issues I've reported recently but this is not
exactly the same (actually I thought I _had_ reported this very one but I can't
find it):
  - CPU consumption does NOT reach 100%, though it does go relatively high. I
can tell because of the fan: when cpu is 100% it spins much faster; while in
other issues I've reported cpu went to 100% (it was compiz)
  - the system becomes COMPLETELY unresponsive, not just _almost_ unresponsive,
meaning that you don't have even the smallest chance to have a keystroke or
click captured (well, or the chance is so much smaller that it basically never
happens); and everything is completely frozen, it won't move the smallest bit
after a while: for example the launcher won't ever hide - while in other issues
I reported you would see things happening at intervals and very jerkily.
  - this alway at the precise instant I click on a launcher icon, while in
other issues I've reported it happens randomly at any time, e.g. while typing.

  Package: unity 6.12.0-0ubuntu0.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-27.46-generic 3.5.7.7
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-27-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu10
  Architecture: i386
  CompizPlugins:
[core,composite,opengl,decor,vpswitch,mousepoll,compiztoolbox,snap,commands,place,resize,session,regex,grid,wall,move,gnomecompat,imgpng,animation,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,workarounds,scale,expo,ezoom,unityshell]