Hey postadelmaga: the file is in /lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service in
debian and ubuntu. Those services are shipped in the mysql package, so
closing the systemd tag (adding the tag though).

I looked at mysql upstream, and their service files doesn't let the
limit of files to opened up. Do you have a particular use case with a
very large database? I really vary on the idea we disable the limit
checks on mysql.

Also, did you look at other distros, did they change the limit as well
as distro-patch (it doesn't seem for me)? Maybe you can try opening an
upstream bug to engage the discussion?

** No longer affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

  mysqld: errno: 24 - Too many open files

Status in mysql-5.6 package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to 15.04 mysql cannot set the file limit and so it
  doesn't work well.

  /var/log/mysql/error.log shows the following:

  [Warning] Buffered warning: Changed limits: max_open_files: 1024 (requested
5000)
  [Warning] Buffered warning: Changed limits: table_cache: 431 (requested 2000)
  [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't open file: ... (errno: 24 - Too many open
files)

  The issue looks to be related to the recent switch to systemd indeed
  if I start using upstart everything work fine.

  I found out similar issues reported on Debian and the general
  suggestion is to add following line to the `mysqld.service` anyway
  this file is not present on my installation :

  LimitNOFILE=infinity
  LimitMEMLOCK=infinity

  Other distro stores this file in `/usr/lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service`
  I'm not sure how Ubuntu is managing this, maybe with file in dir
/etc/default/ ?

  I have also tried adding following lines in /etc/security/limits.conf,
  but the problem persist:

  mysql soft nofile 65535
  mysql hard nofile 65535

  Package: mysql-server (not installed)