I just hit this again on krillin.  Both modems lost signal, and thus
were no longer registered to a carrier, yet the data icon still showed
'edge'.   That said, I wasn't fast enough to grab a screenshot, nor
list-modems output.

Regarding comment #7 and this being an ofono issue, we need some kind of
proof.  I usually see this when switching enabling WiFi, as I've pointed
out, there seems to be different logic that's used for the panel icon
vs. the menu item representing the connected AP.

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ system-image-cli -i
current build number: 20
device name: krillin
channel: ubuntu-touch/ubuntu-rtm/14.09
last update: 2015-03-26 15:44:56
version version: 20
version ubuntu: 20150312
version device: 20150310-3201c0a
version custom: 20150216-561-29-186

** Changed in: indicator-network (Ubuntu RTM)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Pete Woods (pete-woods)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-network in

  Panel network icon - too much latency when network type changes

Status in indicator-network package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ofono package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in indicator-network source package in Utopic:
  Confirmed
Status in ofono source package in Utopic:
  New
Status in indicator-network source package in Vivid:
  Confirmed
Status in ofono source package in Vivid:
  New
Status in indicator-network package in Ubuntu RTM:

  Testing image #u122 this morning, I ran into two separate scenarios
  where the panel network icon didn't always accurately reflect the
  current network technology due to some kind of latency detecting
  network changes ( ie. WiFi -> 3G -> WiFi ).

  Both scenarios were reproduced on mako.

  Scenario 1:

  3G: online
  WiFi: enabled; connected to AP 1

  - display network menu
  - tap another secure network
  - tap cancel when Password dialog is displayed

  At this point the indicator shows '3G' whereas the network menu still
  shows the original AP 1 as connected.  After some period of time ( 10s
  - 1m ), the icon will change back to show that WiFi is connected.

  Scenario 2:

  3G: online
  WiFi: connected to AP 1

  - go to System Settings::WiFi
  - click "Previous Networks"
  - select the currently connected AP/network
  - click Forget Network

  The WiFi settings correctly shows the AP is no longer connected,
  however again the network icon takes some time ( 10s - 1m ) to reflect
  the change back to "3G".