@Michael

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like keep this bug specifically for the problem that occurs when
WiFi is toggled off ( as per the bug description and summary ).   The
problem when going out of range of the access point may be something
completely different, and is being addressed in bug #1410113.

Also, problems with the location service while related, should be
considered separate too.

Regarding the toggle WiFi problem, I created a stress test to try and
reproduce the problem, while I will have reviewed on Monday, to ensure
that I didn't get anything wrong.  The WiFi toggle switch, contrary to
my original understanding, doesn't toggle the urfkill switch directly,
instead, it toggles the value of the global NetworkManager property
'WirelessEnabled'.  NM in turn will enable/disable WiFi via urfkill,
which in turn on krillin uses hybris to load/unload the WiFi driver.

I believe the problem we hit when WiFi is disabled, and the routing
table is empty, is caused by a race between rild and NetworkManager,
however until I can reproduce, it's just that... a theory.

As mentioned, I was able to reproduce this once two days ago, but
haven't managed to reproduce it since.  I've run 500 iterations of
enable/disable WiFi using my stress test, and haven't yet hit the issue.
This is why I reduced the Importance of *this* scenario to High.   The
out-of-range problem will now be my priority.

Finally, one other bug that may compound this problem is a long-standing
issue with the network indicator which shows extreme latency sometimes
displaying the correct network connection to the user.  So even though
the indicator may show that you have a mobile data connection, it may
not actually be showing the true state of things.  See bug #1339792 for
more details.  There's a concerted effort to fix issues with the
indicator; ubuntu silo-6 contains a new version which hopefully will
improve this situation.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Turning off WiFi doesn't set a route after the modem connects data

Status in the base for Ubuntu mobile products:
  New
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu RTM:

  I just switched off WiFi in order to test if the device switches
  successfully to a mobile data connection. After disabling WiFi the
  indicator showed "H" in no time. So it would seem all is fine. I
  opened the browser and no data went through.

  Here's the output of "ip route" and "list-contexts":

  phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ sudo ip route
  [sudo] password for phablet:
  phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ /usr/share/ofono/scripts/list-contexts
  [ /ril_1 ]
  [ /ril_0 ]
      [ /ril_0/context1 ]
          Name = E-Plus Web GPRS
          Settings = { Netmask=255.255.255.0 Address=10.121.30.213
Interface=ccmni0 Method=static DomainNameServers=212.23.103.8,212.23.103.9,
Gateway=10.121.30.213 }
          Username = eplus
          IPv6.Settings = { }
          Protocol = ip