Mee to, I have the same problem. Is on Silent mode, but the symbol is
like normal sound. I am on BQ device.

** Attachment added: "screenshot20152830_192803795.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-sound/+bug/1436351/+attachment/4361774/+files/screenshot20152830_192803795.png

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-sound in Ubuntu.

  icon does not change in silent mode

Status in the base for Ubuntu mobile products:
  New
Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  New
Status in indicator-sound package in Ubuntu:

  If I pull down on the indicator-network and check 'Silent Mode', the
  icon does not change.

  $ system-image-cli -i
  current build number: 214
  device name: mako
  channel: ubuntu-touch/ubuntu-rtm/14.09-proposed
  last update: 2015-03-11 22:07:13
  version version: 214
  version ubuntu: 20150312
  version device: 20150116
  version custom: mako-1.1

  Bug 1367818 seems related, but is marked Fix Released.