Debugging notes:

 - I see tons of "Refusing operation, as it is turned off" in the logs
now, which is due to the disabled HandleLidSwitch (before it was
"Suspending...")

 - I see no event at all in evtest

 - I believe stopping acpid does not help, I still see the "Refusing
operation..." messages from logind.

  desktop machine suspends with systemd after ~3 minutes, does NOT
  suspend with upstart

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  For reasons I cannot fathom, my development server goes into deep
  suspend after ~3 minutes after startup with systemd, however, if I
  boot with upstart it does not.   This happens everytime I boot with
  systemd, the machine just goes into a deep suspend without me
  requesting it.

  I enabled "debug"; attached is a gzip'd syslog showing the activity -
  look at the end of the log, it goes into deep suspend. No idea why.

  acpi_listen is showing some curious audio plug/unplug events that seem
  to occur on this development box, so maybe these are being
  misinterpreted as suspend events.

  $ acpi_listen
  jack/headphone HEADPHONE plug
  jack/headphone HEADPHONE unplug
  jack/headphone HEADPHONE plug
  jack/headphone HEADPHONE unplug
  jack/headphone HEADPHONE plug
  jack/headphone HEADPHONE unplug

  ..but I am not seeing any other ACPI related events that could be
  triggering a suspend request from acpi_listen.