** Changed in: ubuntu-ux
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Benjamin Keyser (bjkeyser)

** Changed in: ubuntu-ux

  [Shell] Bring the HUD back to Unity 8

Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  Triaged
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  One of the most innovative, useful, and wildly popular features
  introduced into Unity 7 was the HUD. Unity 8 currently does not have
  it.

  When Unity 8 was started, we had a way of accessing the HUD with a
  long-swipe from the bottom edge. However, the API to use it was late
  in being added to the SDK, and changed in incompatible ways after it
  was available, and as a result only a few apps (including one of my
  own) had taken advantage of it. Moreover user testing showed that the
  swipe-up activation was not easily discover-able by users.

  When the toolbar/header was redesigned and the bottom-edge gesture
  given to app developers, the way of accessing the HUD was removed, and
  the API was removed before the first supported API freeze.

  Before switching to Unity 8 on the desktop we will need to re-
  introduce the HUD into Unity, to avoid a feature regression that many
  have come to expect and appreciate. Moreover, we should re-introduce
  it on the phone so that apps can once again start taking advantage of
  it, so we can learn how to provide new use cases and user interactions
  for phone/tablet apps.

  In order to match, as much as possible, the Unity 7 way of accessing
  the HUD, my recommendation would be to implement it like an Indicator,
  but always on the far left of the panel. Then it would be touch-
  accessible with a swipe down from the top, or switchable from within
  the drop-down of another indicator, placing it at the same screen
  position as it is on the Unity 7 desktop. Placing the window title or
  simple "Menu" in that location of the panel (or switching between
  them, depending on available space) would aid in discovery of the
  feature.