Does it recover after a few minutes (which would suggest it's crashing)
or does it stay frozen permanently?

Can you please check in /var/crash/ if there's unity8-related .crash
files, and if so, see in /var/log/upstart/whoopsie.log if there are OOPS
ids reported for them?

  Unity8 on the phone freezes sometimes

Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Unity8/UI freezes sometimes on BQ Aquaris E4.5, happened three times
  since I got my phone and it seems that it always happens while
  browsing through open applications in the overview (the application
  "roll"). I am attaching the apport log for Unity8. The phone is fully
  up to date.