> > The best way is to fix the few services that really need dbus
> > unconditionally to be around to add After=dbus.service. And all is good.
>
> If we go with that approach, then it would IMHO be cleaner to change the
> implied "After=dbus.socket" for Type=dbus units to "After=dbus.service", for
> the non-kdbus case at least.

Nah, I am pretty sure this should be fixed in the few services that need
this, rather than adding these otherwise unnecessary synchronization
points to all services, including the ones that don't need it.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dbus in Ubuntu.

  remote file systems hang on shutdown, D-BUS stops too early

Status in D-Bus:
  Confirmed
Status in dbus package in Ubuntu:

  (part of bug 1431774). During shutdown, D-Bus stops too early. In
  particular, it stops before NetworkManager and remote-fs.target,  so
  that any network unmount  will cause errors and hang the boot. This
  can be seen with

  $ journalctl -b -1 | egrep 'Stop.*(D-Bus|Network M|Remote F)'
  Mär 30 19:05:19 donald systemd[1]: Stopping D-Bus System Message Bus...
  Mär 30 19:05:19 donald systemd[1]: Stopped D-Bus System Message Bus.
  Mär 30 19:05:19 donald systemd[1]: Stopped target Remote File Systems.
  Mär 30 19:05:19 donald systemd[1]: Stopping Remote File Systems.
  Mär 30 19:05:19 donald systemd[1]: Stopped target Remote File Systems (Pre).
  Mär 30 19:05:19 donald systemd[1]: Stopping Remote File Systems (Pre).
  Mär 30 19:05:19 donald systemd[1]: Stopping Network Manager...
  Mär 30 19:05:42 donald systemd[1]: Stopped Network Manager.
  Mär 30 19:05:42 donald systemd[1]: Stopping D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.

  A quick workaround is to add After=dbus.service to
  /lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service's [Unit] section, but this
  should be fixed in a more general fashion.