The same is true for the metric system. Ubuntu touch thinks that everyone who
speaks English, calculates their distance in miles / feet / whatever unit from
the stone age.
Even though I am Dutch, I like my phone to be in the English language, but I do
want my distances to show in metres, kilometres etc.
There is even a language called "English (Denmark)", but even that language
uses miles

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-ui-toolkit in

  Can't change locale settings (e.g. language, 12/24-hour time, date
  format) independently

Status in libc package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ubuntu-system-settings package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-ui-toolkit package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  A. Try to use US English, but with all apps using 24-hour instead of 12-hour
time. Or:
  B. Try to use UK English, but with all apps using YYYY-MM-DD date format.

  What happens: You can't.
  What should happen: You can.

  Since Ubuntu has existed, it has used the GNU locale system. This
  system assumes that every single person using a particular locale
  wants exactly the same settings for time display, date display,
  currency display, alphabetizing, and number formatting.
  <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Effects-of-
  Locale.html>

  Windows, Mac OS, and (to a lesser extent) iOS have always been more
  flexible: setting a locale sets appropriate defaults for these
  settings, but you can also change them individually. Ubuntu should do
  the same.

  This might involve changing the locale system itself, or it might
  involve changing all relevant toolkits so that they ignore the locale
  system when appropriate.

  It would also involve adding settings in System Settings to customize
  the individual locale details.