** Summary changed:

- ActivityIndicator much more CPU intensive under xvfb
+ ActivityIndicator much more CPU intensive

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-ui-toolkit in

  ActivityIndicator much more CPU intensive

Status in ubuntu-ui-toolkit package in Ubuntu:

  Given:

  import QtQuick 2.3
  import Ubuntu.Components 1.2

  Item {
      width: childrenRect.width
      height: childrenRect.height

      Grid {
          columns: 20
          Repeater {
              model: 400

              ActivityIndicator {
                  id: indicator
                  running: true
              }
          }
      }

      Timer {
          interval: 10000
          running: true
          onTriggered: Qt.quit()
      }
  }

  Running it under xvfb with current UITK:
  $ time xvfb-run -s "-screen 0 1024x1024x24" qmlscene testactivity.qml
  > 20,60s user 0,44s system 205% cpu 10,225 total

  When with the release before (1.1.1403+15.04.20150206-0ubuntu2¹):
  > 8,42s user 0,10s system 83% cpu 10,226 total

  As you can see the difference is more than double. The offending
  revision is 1222.1.16² that changes the ActivityIndicatorStyle's
  RotationAnimation to RotationAnimator, making sure that it runs on the
  rendering thread and is not blocked by the GUI thread.

  The difference in runs outside of xvfb are minimal, in favour of the new
version:

  $ time qmlscene testactivity.qml
  > 1,13s user 0,18s system 12% cpu 10,412 total
  vs.
  > 1,13s user 0,13s system 12% cpu 10,415 total

  There is unfortunately some side-effect of this, the unity8 QML test
  suite went from taking under an hour to over two hours during our CI
  runs - see the attached trend chart. You can clearly see the spike at
  around job #563. Part of the increase is the fact that we were using
  the ActivityIndicator to force a render pass and cause
  waitForRendering() calls to return early, but the difference caused by
  that is about 10 minutes³, not an hour.

  ¹
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/1.1.1403+15.04.20150206-0ubuntu2
  ²
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-sdk-team/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/trunk/revision/1122.1.16
  ³ https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/job/unity-phablet-qmluitests-vivid/602/

  Package: qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin
1.2.1433+15.04.20150306-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.16.2-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity