About what progress reporting are we talking here? (apt has a gazillion
steps which have independent progress reporting, so "progress report" is
a tat too unspecific).

If we are talking about the "(Reading database" in the output you
attached, this isn't even coming from apt – this is coming from dpkg
[and apt never controlled the (non-)quietness of dpkg], so in that case
you want to talk to them instead.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  apt-get -o quiet=1 dist-upgrade isn't quiet anymore

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  Release:      15.04

  apt:
    Installed: 1.0.9.7ubuntu4
    Candidate: 1.0.9.7ubuntu4
    Version table:
   *** 1.0.9.7ubuntu4 0
          500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Current:

  Until updating from Utopic to Vivid apt-get with command line
  parameter "-o quiet 1" did not output the progress as formatted text.
  Since the update the progress is written to stdout as formatted text.
  This breaks a lot of scripts, e.g. the cron-apt package with mail send
  enabled. The attached text is no longer text only and will be encoded
  as binary, so the mail is unreadable.

  Expected:

  Same behaviour as with version from Utopic, no progress output