Support for this version has ended

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Apt has strange network errors when updating indexes.

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: apt

  If I update the apt indices either in Synaptic Package Manager, Update
  Manager or from the command line, it fails to download a random
  selection of indexes (from 0 to 3, usually). The errors look like
  this:

  W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid-
  security/Release.gpg  Something wicked happened resolving
  'security.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)

  W: Failed to fetch
  http://archive.canonical.com/dists/lucid/Release.gpg  Something wicked
  happened resolving 'archive.canonical.com:http' (-5 - No address
  associated with hostname)

  E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
  ones used instead.

  It is usually about two that fail, though sometimes more, and
  sometimes none. I just have a wireless router attached to a cable
  modem, standard home broadband. If I run 'update' a couple times, it
  will get everything. Apt has no problem downloading or installing
  packages. I can run 'ping' against these servers with zero packet
  loss.

  If I do a single update with errors and then try to install packages,
  sometimes it warns me that packages are unsigned.

  Originally, I had upgraded from Ubuntu 9.10, so to make sure it wasn't
  an upgrade problem, I backed up my personal files, and installed 10.04
  from scratch. The problem persisted with the default Ubuntu 10.04
  install.

  My laptop is a Compaq CQ60 215dx.

  Package: apt 0.7.25.3ubuntu7
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.32-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Date: Mon May  3 19:33:15 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: apt