It also worked fine in Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, and the printfilter mode
changing wasn't needed, it's possibly not used at all with the lxusb
backend.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Unable to print with Lexmark S400 series since upgrade to 11.10

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in cups source package in Precise:

  Following the upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 my Lexmark S405 now is
  unable to print.

  After removing all previous drivers (i.e. from a clean install of the
  printer), I have two options to proceed:

  If I connect the printer via USB and wait for "auto-detection", the
  system is able to determine that a Lexmark S405 has been added (and
  adds the printer as a "S300-S400-Series". However at the same time I
  get the following error message:

  "Not supported by this backend.
  The action is not supported by this backend. Please report a bug as this
should not have happened. Provided postscript-driver not supported"

  The printer is added and does show up in CUPS. The device URI is given
  as:
  "://Lexmark/S300-S400%20Series?serial=90T409817388744&interface=1".
  Previously two packages were also added via the Software Centre (
  "lexmark-legacy-wsu (1.0-1)" and "lexmark-inkjet-legacy-wjre (1.0-1)"
  but my most recent attempt to rectify this fault was following updates
  to fix bug 897309. On this occasion (following the updated
  ghostscript) no software was added via the Software Centre.

  I also have the drivers from Lexmark (the second install option).
  These drivers will install (but if they detect either of the above
  mentioned packages then installation will fail) but, once you are
  prompted to connect the printer via USB the error message highlighted
  above also appears. The results from this approach is that two
  printers are installed...but neither of them work.

  Either method of installing the printer results in the same scenario -
  the printer is listed as "installed", but items in the print queue
  remain there without no response from the printer. A Test Page shows
  the printer as "Processing page 1" before eventually throwing an
  error.

  Incidentally it is possible to scan from the printer (it's an all-in-
  one printer) into Ubuntu, but it seems to be impossible to print out
  from Ubuntu. Also previous work suggested that this may be connected
  to bug 883585. Also, despite CUPS referring to itself as 1.5, the
  intro screen says "what's new in CUPS 1.4". The printer does show up
  in CUPS, but it seems to be impossible to carry out any maintenance on
  the printer within CUPS (but this may be my "newbie-ness" showing
  though).

  My first bug report so hope I've included everything!