Just to test this out, I created a 4.7G file of just '\n' and I see
exactly the behavior described.  I then tried a simple change (attached,
based on 7.4.728) to have Vim use LONG_MAX for MAXLNUM rather than the
hard-coded value.  Now Vim didn't stop loading the file partway through,
but it did get killed by the OOM killer after taking up 14G of RAM.

** Patch added: "lnum-long.diff"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/1374898/+attachment/4392692/+files/lnum-long.diff

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to vim in Ubuntu.

  Vim has 32-bitlimits; annoying on really large files and 64-bit
  machine

Status in vim package in Ubuntu:

  I have a program that I'm debugging.  It generates enormous log files
  which I need to peruse.  I use vim as the tool of choice ordinarily,
  but vim stops loading the text when it reaches line 2147483647.  That
  sounds familiar.

  It gives no hint of what's wrong, so I tried several times.  Then I
  noticed the line number of the last line it would show.

  This makes vim useless for the purpose.
  I regard the limit as an implementation limit which I hope you will extend.
I regard the failure to report as a bug which ought to be fixed.  I hope you
agree.

  Requests:
   - On a 64-bit machine it would be nice if that were a 64-bit long long.
   - On any machine it would be nice if vim noticed it had failed and reported
that fact.

  Package: vim-gtk 2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-35.62-generic 3.13.11.6
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-35-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.4
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Sat Sep 27 19:56:34 2014
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140723)
  SourcePackage: vim