Thanks for your input mpt. Some comments:

> If they are retained, both these settings should be checkboxes

That’s interesting, I wasn’t aware of this distinction. It makes sense
to me, once explained. Is this documented somewhere?
https://design.ubuntu.com/apps/building-blocks/selection doesn’t seem to
mention when to use one or the other (and by the way the image for the
checkbox component is wrong.

> But these settings just happen to be using the wrong control anyway.

Let’s use this bug report to track this.

> Abolish the "Restore previous session at startup" setting,
> making the browser always behave that way.

It has always been the default behaviour (and there was a time when
there was no setting for this), but some users complained that they
wanted the opposite behaviour, where they mostly use the browser for
throwaway sessions, and re-opening previously open tabs uses up data
when undesired. Which is why that setting way introduced.

> Abolish the "Allow opening new tabs in [the] background" setting.

I tend to agree with you on this, but this was explicitly requested by
Giorgio back in the days, with a different default for desktop (on) and
mobile (off). I’d be more than happy to remove the setting and have the
contextual action always there. James, could you maybe comment on this?
(Olga, would you mind re-assigning to James? I can’t do it myself)

** Changed in: webbrowser-app

** Changed in: webbrowser-app

** Changed in: webbrowser-app (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to webbrowser-app in Ubuntu.

  Setting labels ellipsized on phone screen in portrait orientation

Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  Triaged
Status in Web Browser App:
  Confirmed
Status in webbrowser-app package in Ubuntu:

  As shown on the attached screenshot, the rows #2 and #3 of the settings
screen have a text that doesn't fit on the screen.
  The only way to see what these options mean is to switch the phone to
landscape orientation.

  A different UI component should be used for these two options, one
  that allows the user to see the full text of what he's enabling or
  disabling.