** Changed in: ofono (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: nuntium (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ofono (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: messaging-app (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: messaging-app (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to messaging-app in Ubuntu.

  Cannot send MMS when cellular data is not enabled

Status in messaging-app package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nuntium package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ofono package in Ubuntu:

  It is not possible to send an MMS in case cellular data is disabled.
  This might look as an invalid bug because MMS needs cellular data to
  work, but it is not that obvious. For instance, in Android you can
  send/receive an MMS even when you have set cellular data to off.

  The rationale behind this is that MMS and internet traffic are
  tariffed differently. You do not pay for receiving an MMS, just when
  you send, which is your decision, so you can always control how much
  money do you spend on MMS and you can have it enabled always (same as
  SMS). However, all internet data you send or recieve is tariffied.
  Therefore, Android in fact interprets the cellular data setting as
  *internet data* on or off. We should probably do the same.

  An interesting side case is roaming. When MMS started there were many
  complains about being abroad, receiving an MMS and then get a
  expensive bill showing you connected to data while abroad. So we
  should consider data roaming off as cellular data off for both
  internet and MMS data.