@bfiller
I couldn't reproduce it from arale, please check again with arale if the bug
below is what you've seen.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/tangxi/+bug/1446069

For mako, flash turned on all the time(when forced flash ON) but the image was
darker than the pic without flash, and when it got normal pic I could see this
log often (seems more like post image processing)
https://pastebin.canonical.com/131577/
Need to dive into mako code but when I touch the screen to make af work with
flash in advance, then I could get normal pic all the time.

When I got normal pic from by touching screen to to make af work with flash in
advance are, I got additional log below from logcat;
E/mm-camera( 1069): PROFILE set_parm_AF: : 1431930835.474471730
D/mm-camera( 1069): LG_AF_P : CAF for STILL parms REset after capture

* attached pic - wrong pic from mako.

** Attachment added: "darker.jpg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1322121/+attachment/4399294/+files/darker.jpg

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to qtubuntu-camera in Ubuntu.

  pictures taken with flash are almost completely black

Status in Camera App:
  Invalid
Status in the base for Ubuntu mobile products:
  New
Status in android package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in qtubuntu-camera package in Ubuntu:

  On the mako / Nexus 4, the camera has an LED to use for camera flash.
  Our camera app supports the flash, and fires it while taking a picture
  with flash enabled.  However, the resulting image ends up severely
  underexposed, to the point where almost the entire image is black.

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Run the camera app.
  2. Take a picture with flash off.
  3. Turn the flash setting on and take a picture of the same scene again.
  4. Go to the gallery app to view the results.

  Expected results:  The picture with flash should appear brighter (or,
  at least, appear how most with-flash pictures look).

  Actual results:  The picture with flash is almost completely black,
  with only a few dim details in the brightest parts of the image.