Screenshots showing other apps affected:
Messaging app
Dialer

** Attachment added: "Desktop.tar"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity8/+bug/1449981/+attachment/4401563/+files/Desktop.tar

  BQ Device - r21: Browser sometimes overlaps notification menu

Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Conversely, sometimes the notification bar overlaps the URL bar or
  content of the browser. Swiping down still gets the notification menu
  in either case.

  But on first launch, it typically displays itself beneath the
  notification area like other apps so I assume this is the intended
  behaviour?

  So we have three possible states. killing and restarting the app
  solves the issue in the short-term.