Yay.

We may now get a complaint from someone who has deleted the symlink at
/etc/resolv.conf but still has resolvconf installed and relies upon
dhclient updating /etc/resolv.conf dynamically. Their problem:
/etc/resolv.conf is no longer updated after resolvconf is upgraded to
1.77ubuntu1. Solution for this person: they should remove the (unused)
resolvconf package. Or change dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf to look
as it did before; or make some other custom change to their already
customized system.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to resolvconf in Ubuntu.

  Unexpected behavior: make_resolv_conf is not undefined if
  /etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink

Status in resolvconf package in Ubuntu:

  The resolvconf package comes with /etc/dhcp/dhclient-enter-
  hooks.d/resolvconf which, if /sbin/resolvconf is present, redefines
  the make_resolv_conf function (previously defined by dhclient-script)
  to send nameserver information to resolvconf instead of writing it
  directly to /etc/resolv.conf.

  However, the hook also checks if /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink. This
  is problematic because if /etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink then the
  script does not redefine make_resolv_conf() and so dhclient will
  overwrite /etc/resolv.conf when it configures an interface, even
  though the resolvconf package is installed.

  The behavior I would expect would be /etc/resolv.conf never changing
  if resolvconf is installed and /etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink.

  Debian implements the behavior I would expect.

  At the very least, I think that the different behavior in Ubuntu
  should be documented in the man pages for resolvconf.

  As far as I can tell, there's no reason to check for /etc/resolv.conf
  being a symlink when resolvconf itself already does that.

  The patch was introduced by: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
  branches/ubuntu/trusty/resolvconf/trusty/revision/32/etc/dhcp
  /dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf