Public bug reported:

The issue is as described in the summary. My device is now working fine,
however this fix is clearly some sort of bug, so I figured it would be
helpful to report. If someone feels like working on it and wants any log
files just let me know! Not sure what would actually be helpful.I had
this issue in both 14.10 and 15.04 with the most recent releases of
pulseaudio and alsamixer.

** Affects: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

  The issue is as described in the summary. My device is now working fine,
  however this fix is clearly some sort of bug, so I figured it would be
  helpful to report. If someone feels like working on it and wants any log
- files just let me know! Not sure what would actually be helpful.
+ files just let me know! Not sure what would actually be helpful.I had
+ this issue in both 14.10 and 15.04 with the most recent releases of
+ pulseaudio and alsamixer.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  headphones won't work unless pavucontrol is installed and the internal
  microphone is unmuted from there

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu: