** Changed in: indicator-network (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: indicator-network (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-network in

  no indication when the cellular network connection is not encrypted

Status in the base for Ubuntu mobile products:
  New
Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  Triaged
Status in indicator-network package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in ofono package in Ubuntu:

  From TS 100 920 - V8.1.0:

  3.3.3 Functional Requirements:

  """
  The ME has to check if the user data confidentiality is switched on using one
of the seven algorithms. In the event that
  the ME detects that this is not the case, or ceases to be the case (e.g.
during handover), then an indication is given to the
  user.

  This ciphering indicator feature may be disabled by the SIM (see GSM
  11.11).

  In case the SIM does not support the feature that disables the ciphering
indicator, then the ciphering indicator feature in
  the ME shall be enabled by default.
  """

  My understanding of this is that we should at least show a warning
  icon and maybe explanatory text inside the i-network and maybe
  relevant apps like phone-app and messaging-app that the cellular
  communication channel is not encrypted. Without encryption anyone with
  sufficient equipment can eavesdrop the voice and data communication
  between the cell tower and users phone.