The complete set of steps for the workaround are:

* In a terminal, run `pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover`
* Right-click on the device in blueman, select "connect to audio sink"
* Open Puleseaudio volume control (pavucontrol), browse to "configuration" ,
use the dropdown to turn the Built-in audio profile "off"
* use the other dropdown to set the bluetooth device to use A2DP

I think the desirable behavior is you would hit "connect to audio sink"
and audio would start flowing through the bluetooth device, and then if
you hit disconnect it would start flowing through the default profile
again.

However, there's an additional bug here, which is that after
disconnecting (and manually switching the sink back on,) the default
profile seems altered. I'm a little confused by what the underlying
configuration change is, but xfce4-volumed can't control the volume of
the built-in audio until I kill it and restart it:

killall xfce4-volumed
xfce4-volumed

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  module-bluetooth-discover does not load on login

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  The following lines appear in /etc/pulse/default.pa, which I have not
  modified:

  .ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so
  load-module module-bluetooth-discover
  .endif

  Expected: module-bluetooth-discover is loaded on login, as configured.

  Observed: pulseaudio's module-bluetooth-discover does not load on
  login. My system does not detect and set up sinks when I connect to
  Bluetooth devices (including an A2DP speaker and a headset).

  If I issue, in a terminal window:

  $ pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover
  24

  …then the devices are detected and sinks set up correctly.

  $ lsb_release -rd && apt-cache policy pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
  Release:        13.10
  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth:
    Installed: 1:4.0-0ubuntu6
    Candidate: 1:4.0-0ubuntu6
    Version table:
   *** 1:4.0-0ubuntu6 0
          500 http://mirrors.mit.edu/ubuntu/ saucy/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: pulseaudio 1:4.0-0ubuntu6
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-17.30-generic 3.11.10.3
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-17-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  khaeru     2051 F.... pulseaudio