Thanks for the log - if pulse is being used, there must be some reason
the volume control doesn't work.

I have realised the reason the sound continues playing in the background
is due to an unrelated bug: apps continue running in background (or
screen-off) when they do not spawn a gui. Thus, this bug is probably
assigned to the wrong package. Can anyone suggest or reassign to a more
appropriate package?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apparmor in Ubuntu.

  Apps using OpenAL on the Ubuntu Phone appear to have direct hardware
  access despite apparmor constraints

Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:

  I have been building some apps for the phone which use OpenAL. They
  will play audio if running under the "audio" policy group. However,
  the volume of audio is not controlled by the volume slider or "Silent
  mode" switch and audio can continue to play if the app is backgrounded
  or phone screen is switched off. After discussion on #ubuntu-touch it
  was suggested this may imply the apps have direct hardware access,
  despite apparmor constraints.

  I do not know if this is a security vulnerability, so I will report it
  as such to be safe.

  Attached is a .click package build for Ubuntu phones (armhf). It
  contains a small OpenAL example app borrowed from a blog site (source
  code included in click) and bundles the current OpenAL lib from the
  14.10 distribution. It runs under apparmor constraints, and is only
  granted access to the "audio" group. The app would be automatically
  accepted to the Ubuntu Store.

  The audio will continue to play until the app is killed by the user.
  It will play in silent mode, when in the background or when the screen
  is off. The app has been tested on BQ and meizu devices running RTM
  and vivid.