I feel like your two points conflict ☺

If looking for a file on the filesystem won't work, then I can't ask
click for the information as if it knew there was a scope there it'd be
writing a file to the filesystem. That's basically what the scope click
hook does. (symbolic link, but whatevs)

Worst case if I had to spin up a full connection that wouldn't be the
end of the world, in these use cases we're talking about long running
processes that could keep the connection open.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  API needed to determine if App ID is a scope

Status in unity-scopes-api package in Ubuntu:

  There are a few cases where we'd like it if a higher level service could
determine if a particular AppID is connected to a scope. This mostly deals with
requests that relate to trusted session prompts as they need to be overlayed on
top of the dash instead of the calling process. Another is so that URL
dispatcher can return better errors on the scope:// URL namespace. I don't
think that it needs to be complex, roughly something like this:

  bool isScope (const char * appid);