Maybe we are missing each other here. I'm trying to help. I'm just
pointing out that there are some potential issues we should think about.
It may well be that I don't have the complete picture...

When you say "if a particular AppID is connected to a scope", I don't
really know what you mean. All the scopes runtime knows about are scope
IDs. That's it. The scopes may be kicking around in all sorts of
directories, depending on configuration. So, there is no  fixed place in
the file system where we can look to answer the question. Instead, we
have to parse a bunch of config files first, and the way to do that get
the information out is to ask the registry. Asking the registry requires
instantiating a client-side runtime.

If you don't mind keeping a runtime around and the cost of initialising
and finalising it, no change to the scopes API is needed at all. The
registry can deliver a list of scope IDs it knows about through already
existing APIs. To the registry, scope IDs are simply strings. It doesn't
understand anything about them, other than that they are unique. So, if
it's possible to answer your question by just looking at a list of known
scope IDs and doing some pattern matching on them, we can do that today,
in a few lines of code. No change to the scopes API necessary. I'm happy
to help with an example client that does this.

So, if all you need is a list of the scope IDs that are known to the
registry, no problem, we can do that right now. If you are asking the
scopes runtime to understand something about the de

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  API needed to determine if App ID is a scope

Status in unity-scopes-api package in Ubuntu:

  There are a few cases where we'd like it if a higher level service could
determine if a particular AppID is connected to a scope. This mostly deals with
requests that relate to trusted session prompts as they need to be overlayed on
top of the dash instead of the calling process. Another is so that URL
dispatcher can return better errors on the scope:// URL namespace. I don't
think that it needs to be complex, roughly something like this:

  bool isScope (const char * appid);