I have disabled "Notifications and quick settings" in System Settings,
yet notifications of incoming messages are still displayed on the
lockscreen, including the first line or so of the message.

I'm on a bq Aquaris 4.5 with r23 installed (and all updates applied as
of writing this).

** Affects: unity8 (Ubuntu)

Notifications of incoming messages are displayed on the lockscreen even though
they are disabled.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1468042
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Touch
seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity8 in Ubuntu.