Is the resolvconf package even installed?

Assuming it is, why doesn't it get called when the interfaces are
configured?

Can things be changed so that resolvconf does get called in the normal
way when interfaces are configured?  (The "normal way" and all other
things resolvconf are explained in /usr/share/doc/resolvconf/README.gz
.)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to resolvconf in Ubuntu.

  No DNS servers after netboot

Status in resolvconf package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 14.04 / resolvconf 1.69ubuntu1.1

  When netbooting a xen VM, I see the following output:

   address: 192.168.1.180    broadcast: 192.168.1.255    netmask:
  255.255.255.0

   gateway: 192.168.1.1      dns0     : 192.168.1.1      dns1   :
  0.0.0.0

  So I know DHCP is working.

  However, resolv.conf doesn't get updated - the interface is set to
  manual as DHCP was handled at the initrd level.

  Please let me know how I can help get this fixed.