What about insertion on desktop, with a physical keyboard? I wrote my
own solution which I'm more than happy to donate
(https://github.com/lalomartins/ibus-uniemoji) but there might be a
better solution.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  Implement emoji in Ubuntu

Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-touch-meta package in Ubuntu:

  This bug is about implementing emoji display and insertion in Ubuntu,
  desktop and phone.

  I wrote a page about possible ways to implement emoji in Gnu/Linux systems:
  http://probablement.net/txt/emojilinux

  To sum it up:

  * The first thing to do is having the Symbola font (in ttf-ancient-
  fonts) as part of the default installation, so users can see
  monochrome emoji. If I understand, it’s what is being done in bug
  #1137630 (which is about not seeing emoji: Symbola certainly resolve
  it but isn’t a full implementation of emoji as we expect them).

  * The second thing is replacing Symbola with a proper colour emoji
  set, like Emoji One, Noto Color Emoji, or Twemoji. There’s different
  ways to implement this (layered colour font, SVG font, substitution
  with individual SVG files, …) but if I understand correctly comment #6
  in #1137630 FreeType is already compatible with colour fonts! (I will
  update my page)

  * An optional third step would be designing a custom Emoji set. That’s
  more or less bug #820034 even if I’m unsure about it being part of the
  Ubuntu Font Family, even if drawn in stylistically consistent way with
  it.

  * Lastly, we need a system wide UI to browse, pick and insert emoji. I
  added some existing examples on the page; basically, the choice is
  making it only for emoji or part of larger UI for inserting
  characters.