I'm seeing this issue several times a day too. I'm not sure if images
alone are the problem. I get varied results depending how I use the tab
I'm in but it seems that the more pages I navigate to with the same tab,
the closer I get encountering the issue.

For example, go to www.newstalk.com and scroll to the bottom of the
page. Everything is fine until you scroll back to the top and the get
the dreaded white page.

m.independent.ie is another example. After browsing a few articles it
has just happened to me. But in a new tab, I'm using it for five minutes
now and it's fine.

Note that the URL bar is not accessible when the page turns white. I
will add more example URLs to this report as I encounter them.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to webbrowser-app in Ubuntu.

  browser crashes on image-heavy pages

Status in webbrowser-app package in Ubuntu:

  On the BQ ubuntu phone, while browsing image-heavy pages, the browser
  suddenly turns completely white and unresponsive. Closing the app and
  restarting it fixes the problem.

  example: I can't watch this page to the end, because the browser
  crashes in the middle... https://imgur.com/gallery/NnGyq

  I have this on a lot of websites, after browsing for 30 minutes, the
  browser crashes...