On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, I have tested a new card (in remplacement of my Xonar U3):
Terratec Aureon Dual USB
And I have exactly the same bug !!!

An USB sound card who working with Ubuntu exists? :o

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  ASUS Xonar U3 volume slider problem

Status in Linux:
  New
Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  I got an ASUS Xonar U3 USB sound card for my Thinkpad T420 for my
  birthday this year and tried to use it on Ubuntu 12.10. Unfortunately,
  its sound output is either bearably noticeable or - if I increase the
  volume by even the slightest notch with the audio indicator -
  EXTREMELY loud (and, because I use earphones, pretty painfully so).

  I did some experiments with alsamixer, and it seems as if the complete
  volume range that I would expect to be stretched over the complete
  slider is compressed in the PCM levels between 1 and ~7. This means
  the only way I can sanefully use the USB sound card right now is by
  turning the volume in each application very, very low so that I have
  some amount of precision with the global volume slider (which I can
  control with function keys), but every time I forget this somewhere,
  it's a pretty painful surprise, so I hope this can be fixed.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu3
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Mon Nov 12 08:19:30 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120823.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_Card: USB Advanced Audio Device - USB Advanced Audio Device
  Symptom_Type: Volume slider, or mixer problems
  Title: [USB-Audio - USB Advanced Audio Device, playback] volume slider problem
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-18 (24 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 06/12/2012
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 83ET70WW (1.40 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 4180PH1
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Available
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr83ET70WW(1.40):bd06/12/2012:svnLENOVO:pn4180PH1:pvrThinkPadT420:rvnLENOVO:rn4180PH1:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 4180PH1
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad T420
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO