@Daniel -- could you attach the broken initramfs from /boot please.

This seems very odd to my eye as we should only use switch_root if we
have found switch_root present as a command on the previous line in
/init.

  if [ -z "$drop_caps" ] && command -v switch_root >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        exec switch_root ${rootmnt} ${init} "$@"
${recovery:+--startup-event=recovery} <${rootmnt}/dev/console
>${rootmnt}/dev/console 2>&1
  elif command -v run-init >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        exec run-init ${drop_caps} ${rootmnt} ${init} "$@"
${recovery:+--startup-event=recovery} <${rootmnt}/dev/console
>${rootmnt}/dev/console 2>&1
  fi

** Changed in: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Andy Whitcroft (apw)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Kernel panic when booting with initramfs-tools version 0.120ubuntu1
  generated initramfs

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  After updating initramfs-tools to version 0.120ubuntu1 the kernel
  stops with a kernel panic during boot.

  …
  Begin Running /scripts/local-bottom...
  Begin Running /scripts/init-bottom...
  done.
  /init: exec: line 372: switch_root: not found
  Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000200
  …

  For the rest of the backtrace, see the attached image.