Humph...  Unity8 is not running when the device is suspended, is it?
That might put a damper on this plan.

  Unify code that turns screen on when a notification happens

Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Right now, there are several places we ask USC to turn the screen on
  when a notification happens:

  - powerd for SMS, USSD, and incoming calls
  - telephony-service for MMS and telephony messages

  And we don't seem to be turning them on for ubuntu-push notifications,
  but we should, right?  Following the pattern above, we'd have ubuntu-
  push itself turn the screen on, for a third location.

  We don't turn the screen on at all for notifications that don't come
  via those sources.  For example, the following command line doesn't
  turn the screen on, but I think it should:

  gdbus call --session --dest org.freedesktop.Notifications --object-
  path /org/freedesktop/Notifications --method
  org.freedesktop.Notifications.Notify '' 0 '' 'Hello' 'World' '[]' '{}'
  0

  It feels weird to have telephony-service turning the screen on.
  Logically, it is just emitting a notification.  The presentation of
  that notification is up to a higher layer (maybe we're on a raspberry
  pi2 and we present notifications as LED morse code or whatever).  It
  just makes sense that unity8, which is drawing the notification, is
  the one that knows that the screen needs to be on.  It also knows what
  form factor we are in (I assume we only want to turn screen on for
  phones/tablets, not desktops).

  So I'm proposing that we unify all those places into one code path in
  unity8 that can turn the screen on when a notification is received.

  (This is a breakout bug from bug 1426115.)