We think we have a way forward for fixing this, but want to get some
consensus before continuing.

First of all, as Colin mentioned, in order to make sure clicks in /opt
are updated when OTA updates install newer versions in /custom, `click
hook run-system` needs to be updated to compare those databases and
unregister the old versions as necessary.

This change has the side effect (a regression) of making it impossible
to sideload an older version of a click, since the system hooks are run
on boot: the older versions will be unregistered upon the next boot. We
believe this is fixable by comparing the timestamps of a user's
registrations with the newer version of the click included in the OTA
update, and only unregister if the user's registration is older than the
OTA update's.

Unfortunately, that hits another issue where the user registrations
timestamps seem to get updated upon every reboot, which means they'll
always be newer than the OTA update's. We believe we can resolve this by
making the user hooks a little smarter about touching registrations that
don't need to be touched, but it still requires a bit more
investigation.

Knowing the proposed changes and side effects, how does that sound? Are
we okay with the inability to sideload older versions, or should we make
sure that continues to work and update the hooks to be a bit smarter?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to click in Ubuntu.

  OTA update: lower user click not updated by custom tarball higher
  click

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in click package in Ubuntu:

  A user in the field has OTA5 installed. But one click in OTA 5
  (com.canonical.scopes.fbphotos_fbphotos 1.26) did not get updated and
  is at the pre OTA5 version: 1.24.

  Expectations: if OTA custom tarball has a higher version click package
  than the user's, that higher click package is installed.