I've linked to this bug from my bug to make it clear.

> and your description appears to be the duplicate since it was filed
later

Yes, but I think my root cause investigation is more useful to be the
lead summary to actually get this fixed, which is why I did it this way
round and explained what I did. Launchpad ties the bugs together as long
as they are linked (including number of users affected). I'm just
arranging the bugs this way to maximise the help to developers to get it
fixed.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Unattended "apt-get dist-upgrade -qq --force-yes" on 14.04 fails on
  grub configuration.

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  Unattended "apt-get dist-upgrade -qq --force-yes" on 14.04 fails on
  Grub configuration.

  Reproduce by using  "apt-get dist-upgrade -qq --force-yes" on the
  latest Ubuntu 14.04 image (https://cloud-
  images.ubuntu.com/locator/ec2/). It will not select grub defaults
  ("install the package maintainer's version") during upgrade. Setup
  will prompt the user for input.

  This is a new behavior (for me, since Ubuntu 6). It breaks
  automatic/scripted setup of servers.