** Summary changed:

- Double buffering is only smooth while you're touching it
+ [performance] Double buffering is only smooth while you're touching it

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mir in Ubuntu.

  [performance] Double buffering is only smooth while you're touching it

Status in Mir:
  New
Status in QtMir:
  New
Status in mir package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:

  On some devices (mako at least) it's possible to force double
  buffering and it will often keep up:

     restart unity8 QML_NO_TOUCH_COMPRESSION=1 MIR_SERVER_NBUFFERS=2

  Curiously however it only keeps up smoothly (eg. during a dash scroll)
  while you're touching the screen. If you lift off or fling the dash
  then it immediately stutters, quite badly.

  So the issue is not that the device can't keep up with double buffering. It
seems more like we're not keeping the kernel sufficiently awake and it's
clocking down prematurely, as soon as we're not touching it. Certainly
adjusting the variables in:
     /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
  it is possible to raise the performance and minimum frequency to make double
buffering smooth.

  The challenge of this bug is to find a way in Mir/QtMir to keep the
  kernel more awake so it doesn't clock down when we need smooth
  animations and we're not touching the screen.