I am more concerned with changing intended functionality, perhaps for
multiuser systems although its not clear that will ever be a real
requirement for click.

It seems fixing the logic that is unnecessarily  updating the timestamps
should be done

Should this behavior only be enabled on single user systems where it
seems to not make sense? Do we need a new path such as "click hook run-
singleuser"

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to click in Ubuntu.

  OTA update: lower user click not updated by custom tarball higher
  click

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in click package in Ubuntu:

  A user in the field has OTA5 installed. But one click in OTA 5
  (com.canonical.scopes.fbphotos_fbphotos 1.26) did not get updated and
  is at the pre OTA5 version: 1.24.

  Expectations: if OTA custom tarball has a higher version click package
  than the user's, that higher click package is installed.