sawdin;529670 Wrote:

> Disadvantage of Squeezebox:
> 1) Less flexibility in terms of software, though app's are available
> (e.g., peng).
> 2) Need to purchase another unit if you want to use in another room
> (unless you move the unit each time, which would be a pain). However,
> using a DIY music server, what do you use for the controller if you
> want to connect to audio systems in another room?
> 3) Is it 'noisier'? If yes, what introduces the noise as it is
> fan-less.
> I'm sure I'm missing something, but I've been debating which way to go
> and my guess is that it is going to be more expensive to build a DIY
> server, and that does not take into account the time to do the research
> on how to build it, where to get the parts, software, etc. . Thus,
> spending less money on a Touch frees up $$ that can be put into an
> upgraded DAC.
>
> So, what am I missing?

I think you may be mixing some of the older Squeezebox and Squeezebox
Server. So assuming you mean SqueezeBox Server (SBS) - I think
"disadvantages" is wrong - comparison may be better.
1. More flexibility as you can use plugins which are not supported on
SqueezeBox Touch which can provide access to other services, devices
and also do audio processing.
2. Support all Squeezebox devices from SliMP3 to Radio, Touch
3. Transcoding supported on SBS so that many more audio formats can be
supported across all devices.
4. Same graphic controller will work with SBS as Touch so no
difference.
5. SBS server does not normally play audio so noise issue is the same
as a HTPC kept beside a TV.

Touch and SBS are not exclusive - they are steps on a possible growth
paths which will be determined by how you are acquire players, how you
control them and what you play on them.

--
bpa