This evening when I turned on the Touch, it prompted me for a firmware
update. It had 7.5.1, and the new firmware is also 7.5.1, but with a
different build? (don't remember the build number, 9xxx). The Touch was
running from the internet (not connected to local SC)

So I selected update, and after about 20 minutes went back to check on
it, it displayed a black screen. no response from any keystrokes. Tried
a power cycle by unplugging, it boots up to the screen that says "free
your music", then blank screen..

Did the update just bricked the unit??? Is there something I can do to
recover the device? Please help!

--
wildgoose