firedog;607323 Wrote:
> Because we always hear that both Linux and OSX based boxes are better.
> Witness products like the Auraliti and Mach2Mini. In addition, lots of
> industry insiders/designers of computer based solutions prefer MAC and
> Linux (example: Gordon at Wavelength).

It's not that easy as you might think. And it is not black or either.

You need to differentiate a bit more.

Logitech is not using the soundlayer of any OS on the server side
(let's not talk about Alsa on the Touch for now).

What I am talking about is the communication towards the streaming
client, which seems to be less efficient on my Linux system.

If people or manufacturers talking about their preferences, they
talk about a combination of operating system, soundlayer (incl.
driver), application and sound device. That's a complete different
story.

Today OSX sounds good because there is an Amarra or a channeld
Pure Music. Which shows that the application is in charge of
making sure that the system resources are utilized in the best
possible way.
There hasn't been very much focus on this neither on the Windows nor
in the Linux world.
One of the best sounding app in Windows land is nowadays J.River media
center.
If you ask the Linux audio crowd, they'll tell you they all sound the
same. No need to do anything about it.

And that's why Gordon is right - from his perspective. I'd agree that
OSX app designers have understood. They seem to put more focus on the
subject then anybody else out there.

--
soundcheck

'soundcheck's Touch Toolbox 2.0'