When you set the brightness control to automatic, the Touch calculates
the light intensity of its surroundings, and matches its brightness
settings. So, if it's quite light in your room, then the brightness
will be high. The minimum brightness is only set when it's dark
(depending on how low your minimum setting is).

That was frustrating for me too. I wanted full brightness when playing,
but minimum brightness when stopped or off. I wrote a 'patch'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86538) for that, if
you're willing to try. You'll need to install the patch installer
plugin, and add my repository file to the additional plugins.

--
505