Triode wrote:
> Yep - I have a test version of jive_alsa which does something similar
> (it is actually the place where the outputThreshold is used, so it can
> be set to ignore the value sent from the server for high sample rates)
> Will publish soon for test [only held off as it has a few other
> experiments in it]
>
> Squeezeplay has 3 buffers of relevance:
>
> Streambuf (3M bytes) -> (decoder) -> Outputbuf (10 seconds at 44.1) ->
> (jive_alsa) -> alsa buffer
>
> outputThreshold changes when jive_alsa starts to play a new track from
> output buffer.  I have tested with the threshold at 1 second which is
> the same as you are using.  It seems to work in these cases for 192k
> playback.  Note that 192k is always going to be more susceptible to
> other processes on Touch than lower rates as the 10s output buff is
> sized for 44.1 and is only 2 and a bit seconds worth for 192k.  However
> the rest of the squeezeplay application should not block for this long.
> Jive_alsa runs at real time priority and it is the frequency this runs
> which is impacted by alsa buffer tuning.
>
> Edit: try the attached (unzip and use to replace in /usr/bin/jive_alsa
> within Touch - make sure it is executable).  It is intended to be used
> with periodCount of 3 or more.

Hi, tried the new jive_alsa on sp/dif out. No problems with tracks
skipping at the start for 24/192.

Also, there is quite an improvement in sound quality, I didn't believe
it at first so swapped the old jive_alsa back and forth about 3 times
and there is definitely a better sense of timing and better/tidier
soundstage than before. Don't know if you were working on improving the
sound or whether it is a side effect, but the effect on the sound is
very nice, reminds me of the quality I was getting with XXHighend and
the Mhdt Usbridge where you can almost reach into the music.

Thanks