aubuti wrote:
> First, how do you figure you have 1.5 TB of data? If you rip to FLAC
> then I expect 2000 CDs would require 0.75-1 TB of disk space. Don't get
> me wrong -- futureproofing is a good idea and drive prices are
> ridiculously cheap. But the drives could very well die before you get
> anywhere near 3TB.

You're probably quite correct. My 1.5 TB figure is based on knowing that
a commercial CD will fit onto a CD-R (700 MB capacity); 700 MB x 2000
CDs = 1.335 TB. Of course, commercial CDs are seldom holding the maximum
capacity of data, but I've never looked for an actual average
figure--plus I tend to be conservative about that sort of thing,
especially when the price differences are small (the local retailer I
often use has 2 TB drives for $120-c. $200, depending on features; they
sell 3 TB drives for $140-c. $270).

aubuti wrote:
> Speaking of dying drives, I fully support rayman1701's suggestion for 3
> drives, and especially for keeping one drive off-site. <snip> If you
> value your time spent ripping and tagging at all, proper backups on a
> hard drive are a no-brainer.

I do value my time. I have been definitely planning on two drives; I
hadn't considered three. I'm not sure what offsite storage location
would make sense for me (perhaps a relative's home)--I'll think about
it.

aubuti wrote:
> Platter speed really doesn't matter. Additional interfaces may be
> convenient, but I wouldn't pay extra for them.

Again, the price differences may be small enough to lean me in the
direction of "spend $50 or less to save a few tenths of a second, and
gain possible future flexibility? Why not?". I'll take your point as I
total up the overall cost and allocate my spending on the various pieces
of gear.

aubuti wrote:
> You should answer the OS question before you decide on the drive format.
> For the OS, I'd say your choices are (a) bend over and pay the extra
> $200 for Win XP, (b) install an "easy" Linux like Ubuntu, or (c) install
> Vortexbox. Even friendly Linux distributions take some getting used to,
> so if you don't think you have the patience for it, then go with (a). If
> you'd like to play around a bit and learn some Linux, go with (b). Or if
> you plan to use the box only for serving music, and possibly other file
> serving, look at (c).

I plan to use this computer only for serving music. I'll look at
VortexBox, but since the days of Microsoft's support for WinXP are
literally numbered--and since I don't foresee my adopting Linux for my
non-server computing, I am leaning towards the Windows option, pricey
though it is.

By the way, that's $200 for *Win 7*--not XP, it's two-versions-earlier
predecessor. I'm trying to verify the details for upgrading to Win 8,
which is coming along soon.

Also, one reason for settling the drive issue before the OS issue is
that as soon as I have a drive I can start ripping and tagging, before I
have a server PC (if I want to listen to files as I g,o I can use a
laptop which I've installed LMS on--my Touch found that computer and an
external drive connected to it, so the concept has been proven in situ).