Cut-Throat wrote:
> LMS and Touch are such an important part of my Stereo System that I
> would not like to go without them.
>
> Does anyone have any new information on what the future of LMS is? Or is
> there any other product in the market that would have the same
> functionality of a Touch and LMS?

It's too early to worry about this as long as you don't have an urgent
need to enhance your system with new devices:
- LMS is still maintained on the same level as it was a year ago, the
only difference is that that Touch hardware is now longer sold in the
warehouses.
- mysqueezebox.com is still maintained on the same level as it was a
year ago, the only difference is that we are now unlikely to get
completely new online services added.
- There are at least two projects going with community members that
looks promising
-- CommunitySqueeze that intends to make an affordable hardware player
with top notch audio quality
-- ickStream Music Platform that intends to make a new platform for
music streaming which will ensure online streaming services will also
work in the future
- There are a lot of smaller projects also except for the above two

I'm personally not that worried about LMS, if Logitech would stop
maintaining it I'm sure someone from the community would pick it up and
continue the maintenance. LMS is really good as music server and there
are a lot of skilled people in this community, so I doubt it will die as
long as this community exists. There is no reason for the community to
maintain their own version of LMS as long as Logitech handles the
maintenance satisfactory.

I'll start worry about mysqueezebox.com the day it starts to break, but
hopefully ickStream is in place before that happens and fortunately
Spotify will work already today through LMS and Triode's third party
Spotify plugin.

To my knowledge, there is currently nothing else on the market that can
match Touch+LMS from a feature perspective. If you want an eco system
for the whole house, Sonos is probably closest, but as we know it also
has some limitations. If you want high-end audio and can't wait for
CommunitySqueeze, you should probably look at one of the streaming
devices produced by a HiFi manufacturers, but they are usually not that
feature rich and they usually don't have different types of devices to
make it work as an affordable whole house solution. A Wandboard or
Raspberry Pi together with a decent USB DAC is a good DIY solution for a
headless player at the moment if you want something that's Squeezebox
compatible, just be aware that some of the mysqueezebox.com provided
online services will not work on such devices.

Based on this, my advice would be to wait and enjoy your Touch+LMS as
long as it works and start looking for something else when it starts to
break.

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
You may also want to try my Android apps 'Squeeze Display'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.squeezedisplay)
and 'RSS Photo Show'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.rssphotoshow)
*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.