DACs often reclock, but they have to "tune" their internal clock source
to take account any small variation between it and the incoming data
rate. Unfortunately the act of using a clock that can be tuned tends to
reduce its jitter performance somewhat so the ideal is asynchronous USB,
whereby the DAC requests data from the player on its own timing rather
than the player sending data on its own timing.

I have a DAC that can do either and is capable of reclocking, but using
its internal clock only results in pops and clicks as the data stream
goes out of sync (buffer empty, or buffer full), so in reality it's not
usable this way. I leave it synced to input data stream from the SBT and
it works fine..

--
Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with
Debian+LMS 7.9.0