Julf wrote:
> Thanks - it does make some good points.
>
> -"At the present time, I remain skeptical of the sonic advantages of MQA
> and even more skeptical of its commercial viability. There is no
> question that MQA degrades the quality of the audio for users who do not
> have an MQA decoder. The compatible portion of the MQA signal is
> equivalent to about 13 to 15 bits at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz or 48
> kHz. The loss of resolution is due to down sampling, dither noise, and
> pseudo-random noise from the high-frequency compression channel which
> occupies the lower 8 to 11 bits. When fully decoded, the resolution of
> MQA is limited to 17 bits at 96 kHz. Miska has shown that an MQA file
> actually occupies more space than a lossless 96 kHz 18-bit PCM file! Why
> settle for 17 bits when you can have an 18-bit file in a smaller
> package? MQA may be promising a sonic benefit and file-size benefit that
> it cannot deliver!"-
>
> and
>
> -"Note that the original 24-bit signal is never recovered. MQA does not
> losslessly preserve the original 24-bit signal. For this reason MQA is
> not truly a lossless system. At best, the MQA system losslessly conveys
> 17-bits at 96 kHz. Unfortunately this very complicated process is less
> efficient than lossless FLAC compression of the 17-bit file. It is also
> only slightly smaller than a FLAC version of the original 24-bit signal.
> MQA does not make it easier to stream 96 kHz files. With a 96 kHz 18-bit
> input, FLAC compressed MQA requires higher data rates than FLAC
> compressed PCM while delivering lower quality than 18-bit losslessly
> compressed PCM. MQA also requires special mastering and special playback
> hardware. Conventional FLAC compression requires neither."-

Yep thats the thing that vories me .

So basically not having MQA with your Tidal HIFI acount may render some
tracks with less fidelity than the good old 16/44.1 they used to deliver
with the hifi version :/

I was thinking about switching back to Tidal from Spotify again ? Wonder
what's worse 320kBps ogg ( Spotify ) or an MQA file trough a non MQA
system . Ogg is a good codec with psycholacoustics accounted for hmmm ?

I "understand"( but not really ) the labels , they can yet again deliver
in lossy proprietary licensed fashion not giving away the master . That
arguments has so many holes in it but record labels likes it....

So if we need MQA it's for the wrong reasons , just to stay compatible
with yet another audio format ( like we needed yet another format ) bah
.
That's not a step forward only commercial sytems needs to apply

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )