R1200CL wrote:
> Quote from the producer:
>
> Well the UltraCap LPS-1 is unique in being an extremely low impedance
> unit with cascaded ultra-low-noise (4uV rms from 10Hz to 100kHz)
> regulators.
> And most importantly, as a bank alternating supply whose active output
> is 100% isolated from the charging side, it completely blocks the path
> of AC leakage currents, a important part of removing whatever it is
> powering from the "leakage loop" in that part of one's system (ALL audio
> systems have leakage loops happening between components with power
> supplies).  The LPS-1 is a bit like a battery supply in this
> respect--without the several disadvantages of batteries.

There is only ONE way to create a DC output without any AC artifacts
especially when one starts with dirty residential AC power and that is
to use a DC battery IE do not start by using ANY AC Power. A linear
power supply can't really help the SB3 or the Touch since both have
internal switching power converters (which are fairly well engineered
because they knew they were dealing with audio and meeting a price point
was the only reason for not spending more money to get power issues any
lower). The design is actually good enough that it does take much more
money that doesn't make sense spending to lower noise etc. Could the
internal supplies be a little cleaner sure, but the cheapest way to get
them cleaner and with much greater results is to by-pass them with the
specific DC Voltage provided by external battery supplies.

I have tested a Touch and SB3 run off a battery supply instead of the AC
Wall unit and using an HP Network Analyzer shows that it is really not
worth the trouble. Yes there is an improvement from a purist point of
view but considering that the Touch or SB3 is still going to be the
weakest part of any expensive audio system it simply doesn't matter IE
again its not worth bothering. Then looking at a system where the Touch
isn't the weakest link in the audio path, it again doesn't matter
because it would be impossible to hear any difference if the Touch isn't
the weakest part because other equipment would either mask it or
outright cover it up.

The solution to this supposed "Issue" is to simply buy a Transporter!
SB3 and Touch are for streaming high quality digital files on good
equipment. Transporter is for streaming high quality digital files on
great (audiophile) equipment.

*iPhone*
Media Room:
ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp,
Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers:
Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video:
Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model
3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini